- A second beast from the earth or abyss, not the sea of people. He is a false prophet declaring the glory of the 1st beast and the Dragon. Just like the prophets of scripture but deceivers and false.
- The above also hints of a comparison to Christ descending; the begotten of God as his son; the one to be worshiped and through whom one reaches the Father.
- We now have a beast from the sea and a beast from the earth/abyss.
- The second beast gets his power from the Dragon (Satan)
- Given power over the first and perhaps second layer of heavens, earth, mankind, and authority.
- We get a talking idol/image of the 1st beast but order to be made by the 2nd
- The mark is given to all who worship the dragon and the 1st beast
- The mark of Christ is also given; everyone living on earth at this time receives a mark; one of Satan or one of God/Christ.
Rev 13:11 sounds a bit like one being in the image of the dragon (Satan). He rises from the Abyss not the sea. The first beast being raised from the sea of people is similar to Jesus being raised amongst men and from a sea of people. This furthermore is a reflection or parallel to Jesus being given power from God as is this second beast is given its power from the Dragon. Jesus was given authority over heaven and earth by the Father God. In Jesus’ 40 day wilderness trip, Satan tried to bribe him with the “kingdoms of the world.” There are additional parallels but not for this blog. Length is not the goal.
One might reasonably ask or even be expected to ask at this point, where is the Holy Spirit duplication in Satan’s trinity? This is the false prophet or 2nd beast who does not seek worship in or of himself. He directs this worship toward the 2nd beast and his authoritarian “father”… the dragon/Satan. Just as the dragon is symbolically an anti-God and the first beast is anti-Christ, the second beast and false prophet will be anti-Spirit. Remember here that the word “anti” in the Greek can also mean “an alternative to” or instead of. In Revelation 13:11-18 it is not a free will choice but a forced choice by the anti-Christ.
V13:11… “he has two horns like a lamb but speaks like a dragon.” Is this an indication the 2nd beast is the false prophet (perhaps from the Vatican) is the spokesperson and enforcer of the Dragon and the 1st beast? Good possibility.
Here is what we get from the second half of Revelation 13:
- One seemingly in the image of Satan but from the earth, not the sea of people
- The first beast has the wound
- The 2nd beast requires the world to worship the first beast AND the dragon via the image.
- V12 and 14 indicate its only miraculous signs are while in the presence of the 1st beast
- It commands an image be made to the 1st beast (the wounded guy)
- He appears to give the image that men are ordered to make, life. What a BIG deception. Man makes an idol and one finally comes to life. How much more deception will be needed?
- The image “causes” (hin’-ah) people to worship the beast or die. (intent does not mean total success) Humans will accept this command as didn’t they make the image themselves?
- The image orders the mark of the beast on all mankind; their death if not done.
- The sign or seal of Satan is the dictatorship of commerce, religion, and everyday activity.
- There are two signs; one of Christ and one of Satan. Both exclusive; one eternally deadly.
- The 666 is not reversible and sets the destination of those individuals…HELL!
It is the 2nd beast that tells mankind to build an image to the first (wounded) beast. He commands humans to worship the first beast and the dragon; similar to Christians worshiping Jesus the Son of god and praying to God the Father. The Mark of the beast is an economic mark; the power to buy, sell, trade and do business. It is also a mark of worship and acceptance of the evil one as a [false] god. It is the image that speaks (v15) and startles those remaining on earth.
Christ was also wounded for our transgressions and sin [Isaiah 53:5]. However, accepting him is not forced. It is a choice. Satan again tries to replicate what God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit has already done; it is Satan’s deception at its greatest point. It is his attempt to parallel God’s plan. When any person does not worship this image and beast it is death when caught. Just like in Islam… accept or die. In Christianity we have a choice UNTIL death. Only then is it judgement day.
One might take note that this 2nd beast or false prophet only performs these miraculous signs when “in the presence of the 1st beast.” What do we have so far:
- Satan acting like a god the father – B) 1st beast as the son of Satan; i.e. anti-Christ – C) The 2nd beast acting as a prompting spirit not commanding worship of himself but directing worship to the image, 1st beast and the dragon – D) Image as a spokesperson (V15).
But God has his plan and it will not be altered by even Satan himself. This leads into chapter 14 of Revelation. We will explain the number 666 in a separate blog as will be the 144,000 discussion from chapter 14.
Rev. Dr. James W. Stark